The defensive fortifications of Barbariga were part of the complex defensive system of Pula's Austro-Hungarian forts, and like most fortresses, subordinate to the logical hierarchy in the defense of the region.
Covering an area of approximately 150 ha they were built between 1898 and 1914 northwest of Pula in order to control the entry to the Fažana Channel and military port of Pula. The defensive group consists of seven forts of solid construction and four of mixed and rural construction.
At Cape Barbariga stands a small rear fort serving as a shelter for the staff and equipped with a spotlight for night observations. The forts and elements of accompanying facilities are connected by a dense network of macadam roads and paths.
Although abandoned, the forts are quite well preserved. Very few forts are partly or wholly in a ruinous state. The forts are officially not open for visitors but can nevertheless be visited from the outside.